FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: GSoC 2013 - Ideas needed  (Read 1626 times)

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
GSoC 2013 - Ideas needed
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:03:15 am »

Wow time has been flying.  We need some ideas for GSoC 2013.

GSoC 2013 Timeline: https://github.com/unknown-horizons/unknown-horizons/wiki/timeline-2013
Ideas: https://github.com/unknown-horizons/unknown-horizons/wiki/Ideas-2013

Some ideas I've been tossing around are:

• Split up the fife python module into multiple modules (much like vdaras did for fifechan)
  • Tools - editor needs some love, atlas creator should be re-written as a plugin to the editor, etc etc
  • Website needs an overhaul (probably not a good GSoC task but just throwing it out there.  Could potentially be a bunch of code)
  • New C++ sound manager - this was on the list for last year
  • More guichan/pychan improvements - still a lot of bugs in the tracker for pychan, maybe a WYSIWYG editor?
  • Trigger system - Could work with the new cell cache code helios has done to provide a descent trigger implementation (need to integrate with the editor).
  • New file format - I know helios had started something here... not sure where he is at.  In any case it would be great to complete the C++ loaders/savers with the new file format.

Anything to add to the list?  We need to get these posted in the next few days!!!

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: GSoC 2013 - Ideas needed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:44:11 am »

vtchill had an idea in irc yesterday:

• removing some of our dependency on SDL

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: GSoC 2013 - Ideas needed
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:53:48 am »

And something I just thought of....

• Start moving toward C++11 standards (this could get rid of our smart pointer class as well as some boost dependencies and I believe it supports utf8 strings out of the box)