FIFE forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

FIFE 0.4.0 has been released on 15th of January, 2017!

Author Topic: something strange going on in demos  (Read 2811 times)

quantumdice

• View Profile
something strange going on in demos
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:22:54 am »

help please, this is my first time to get my hands on fife, and I currently have a rather annoying problem I still haven't gotten around with the demos, and am afraid to go further with the editor before i can get to the bottom of this.

I am using 32bit windows 7 and got python 2.7.3 installed.
installation finished with no problems and the demos would startup and run as expected. however, the sprites (especially on the GUIs) did whacky actions, mostly displaying wrong integers or strings and wrongly stretching fonts and seemingly had glitched tuples which caused most sequence-dependent graphics such as menus to appear in the wrong order. That's for the GUI on the most part and a few similar occurrences on the game sprites too (some game sprites even displayed numbers or letters instead of images). As for almost all of the game sprites, they appeared to constantly "morph" into a multitude of wrong or out-of-place images from other files at split second intervals, (to put simply, the rio demo characters looked like Bogarts walking through a deformed beach). I already tried installing on a different machine (XP) and encountered no problems so far, so I guess it's something to do with Win7. A compatibility issue? Help is much appreciated.

vtchill

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: something strange going on in demos
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 11:27:50 am »

Hello quantumdice and welcome to the FIFE forums!

I am not aware of any win7 specific compatibility issues. In fact I run FIFE at home on a win7 machine. Can you perhaps post some screenshots of what you are seeing to give us a better visual. Also can you post your graphics card vendor/version. Which version of fife are you using (ex. latest released such as fife 0.3.3r2 or trunk)?

And I assume this issue you are seeing happens with any of the demos? Have you tried running and installing Unknown Horizons (a fife based game) to see if the problem occurs there as well?

again some screenshots of the problem may help us narrow down the issue.

quantumdice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 02:34:29 am »

thanks for the fast reply!
I just downloaded the latest version now (0.3.4rc1) and seems to be working fine on XP. I forgot to mention that XP indeed had trouble playing any sound, but now i'm over that.

as for my dev computer (win7) specs:
video - ATI Mobility Radeon HD2300, microsoft
sound - realtek HD

and yes, I just installed Unknown Horizons and it also appears to displaying the same problems, although not as severe, but still bad enough to break the game's intended display.

here's a few screen caps:

shooter demo

rio demo

also pychan is barely helping:

hope that helps...

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:28:11 am »

Very strange...  first thing I would do is uninstall the FIFE python module (in your python directory as the FIFE uninstaller doesn't uninstall the python module).  After that uninstall your FIFE install.  Try installing FIFE from scratch again and see if the problem persists.  If so you can try and set a couple values in the settings.xml file as it could be an issue with your video card.  Check the FIFE README file out... here is a snippet:  "Currently the fix
is to modify your settings.xml file and set both GLUseFramebuffer and GLUseNPOT
to False (they are True by default)."

If all that doesn't work you should try to upgrade your video card driver to the latest level (if it isn't already).

Hope all that helps and welcome to FIFE!

dicotout

• The trail we blaze
    • View Profile
    • Le maitre de l'olympe : zeus
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 04:21:15 pm »

I have the same problem, have you found the solution ?

prock

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 11:26:10 pm »

Still looking...   hopefully we can get to the bottom of it soon.   Need to collect more information because I am unable to re-produce it.

flutschfinger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:38:17 am »

There are multiple different driver kinds and versions available for ATI graphic cards.

- the windows driver, like the vesa one for linux, works fine, but has no features
- the official one from ATI
- a custom one for swichting gpus on windows8, cant remember the name
- some custom drivers for mobility versions of gpus mostly shipped on a cd with the laptop

You need the last version from AMD/ATI, download it from their website (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx)! Thats the only way you can be sure you have the latest driver!
With Unknown Horizons we had simliar issues, like seen in the screenshots before (http://simplest-image-hosting.net/gif-0-graphical-glitches-windows), they are gone after installing the correct and last driver version.

Good Luck!

dicotout

• The trail we blaze
    • View Profile
    • Le maitre de l'olympe : zeus
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 06:47:52 am »

Oh yeah, you are right !
The solution for was here : http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

It 's working now ! Thanks  :P